University and Department Policies
Commonly of Interest to MFT Students

University Level Policies
See University Catalogue for Further Details

The Seven Year Rule
• All courses must be completed within seven years from the date when the student first enrolled in courses that are applied to the degree.
• This time limit includes completion of thesis, project or comprehensive exam.

Leave of Absence
• Graduate students in good standing may take up to a two-semester leave of absence. Though no formal approval is required, it is suggested that students write a letter to their major department and to the Graduate Studies, Research International Programs Office, which would include reason(s) for leave and date of return. This will keep a student's file in active status for up to one academic year. Leaves of absence for more than one academic year are generally not accepted.  Students must, instead, re-apply to the university and to the department and are not automatically re-accepted.

Repeating a Graduate Course
• With prior permission of the Graduate Coordinator and/or Department Chair and Associate Vice President of Graduate Studies, a graduate student may repeat, for the purpose of improving the grade, up to 6-units of credit in which a grade of "B-" or below, or a grade of "U," was achieved. In these cases only the most recent grade will count.
• Students must submit a Course Repeat Form (OGS 25) for approval by the third week of the semester in which the course is being repeated and show proof of enrollment at that time.

Change of Address/Updating Personal Information:

• Update your information through the CSUN myNorthridge portal.
• Log in to the portal from the upper right corner of the CSUN main page. On the main portal page, find Human Resources/Employee, and click on "Update my personal information." 
o Yellow buttons indicates sections that are available for update. They are:
o Change home/mailing address
o Change phone number(s)
o Change emergency contact.

Moving Out of State Before Graduation:
• If students anticipate moving before graduation they can arrange for independent study courses if needed to meet a specific state’s requirement.

Moving out of State After Graduation:

• CSUN's Marriage and Family Therapy Program prepares you to be both an LMFT and LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) in most of the states. However, requirements vary widely and students should research requirement for specific states.
• Students will need to apply for relevant credentials in their new state.
• Some states may require a course in their specific relevant state laws and ethical guidelines.

General Procedures for Handling Problems

• If a student has a concern regarding another student or instructor, students should always begin by speaking directly to the person in question to try to resolve the issue.
• If a student has personal or academic concern that impacting his/her ability to perform in coursework or fieldwork, the student should proactively contact involved instructors, an advisor, and/or personal therapist to help address the situation.

Managing a Problem with a Faculty Member

• The EPC faculty strives to be considerate of student’s needs and issues and are generally open to hearing from students about their concerns.
• If an issue arises, student should set up a time to speak directly with the faculty member. In most cases, issues are easily resolved with open and frank communication.
• If the student is still unhappy the student should set up a time to speak with the program’s coordinator or department chair.

Grievance Policy
A student or group of students of the Michael D. Eisner College of Education may appeal decisions or actions pertaining to admissions, programs, evaluation of performance, and program retention and completion. Students who decide to file a grievance should follow the student grievance procedure, or alternative ways to file a grievance outlined in the Student Grievance Policy (

Department Student Affairs Committee
The Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling (EPC) has a Student Affairs Committee (SAC), which is comprised of faculty members of the EPC department. The committee’s purpose is to address issues related to student conduct and progress, addressing specifically readiness to see clients, academic performance, and ethical behavior.. The committee strives to support students in their growth as professionals and works toward a fair and appropriate resolution for all parties concerned. The department has developed formal procedures in response to unprofessional behavior and related academic concerns. Students who are referred to the Student Affairs Committee will initially receive a Letter of Concern that outlines the nature of the problem; this letter serves as a warning and is placed in the student’s academic file. Upon a second incident or with more serious first-time offenses, the faculty will also file a Request for Delay/Withdraw, which will outline requirements for remediating concerns, stipulations for a delay in the program, and/or requirement for withdrawal from the program. In such cases, students may appeal the decision, which will be heard by an appointed subcommittee.

Faculty and Supervisor Procedures for Handling Student Performance Concerns
• It is understood that faculty will routinely discuss with other concerned faculty students whose continued participation in the program be in question.
• If there is a serious concern about a student, the instructor will place a copy of a Statement of Concern (FORM A) in the student file and a copy will be given to the student describing the faculty members’ concern.
• Although no action is generally required, the instructor may require a meeting with the student and suggestions for improvement discussed.
• If the behavior or performance in question continues, a faculty member may initiate a Delay/Withdrawal Procedure.
o FORM B (Faculty Initiated Recommendation for Delay/Withdrawal From Program) will be submitted to the Department Chair.
o The faculty member will orally notify the student of this recommendation and the student will have from the date of receipt of FORM B, ten (10) school/working days to file an appeal of the recommendation (FORM B1).
• If there is no appeal, the recommendation is acted upon and placed in the student's file.

If a Student Appeals a Grievance
• Student files FORM Bl with the Department Chair.
• The Department Chair will distribute FORM C (Information Form for Faculty Initiated Delay/Withdrawal from Program) to faculty members and will be asked to complete FORM C and return it within one week period.
• Copies of forms will be forwarded to the Student Affairs Committee by the Department Chair
o Student Affairs may support the appeal or establish an Ad Hoc Examining Committee of two faculty members and one student (Alumnus).
• The Examining Committee will meet with the student and the involved faculty member(s); the student may bring an advocate or fellow student along to this meeting.
• After meeting with the student and faculty members and reading any pertinent materials (including FORMs A, B, B1, and C):
o The Ad Hoc Committee will make a recommendation in writing to the Student Affairs Committee concerning the student's Delay/Withdrawal from the Program.
o The Committee can recommend that the student:
a.    Continue in the program without delay.
b.    Continue in the program, but with certain stipulations.
c.    Is delayed from continuing in the program until the student meets certain stipulations such as gaining more experience, personal therapy, participating in special programs, etc.
d.    Delay/Withdraw from the Program.
• The recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee:
o Is received by the Student Affairs Committee, and is forwarded to the Department Chair, along with a written recommendation by the Student Affairs Committee to accept or reject the recommendation of the Ad Hoc Committee.
o Is received by the Department Chair along with the recommendation for the Student Affairs Committee, and the Department Chair will then make the final decision concerning the student's delay/withdrawal from the program.

Final Dispensation
• The student will be notified in writing of the department Chair's decisions, including any stipulations regarding continuing in the program or re-admittance to the program.
• A copy of this letter will be placed in the student's file.
• Notice (FORM D) of the action will be sent to department faculty members.